Top Disc Injury Treatment in Dubuque
The little pads that lie between your vertebrae are called the intervertebral discs. Each of these discs has a tough outer ring and a soft gel-like center. Your disc’s job is to both join and to separate your vertebrae from one another. These discs act as cushions, or shock absorbers, so that the bones don’t make contact with each other as you move around, carry large objects, and bend over. Without the discs you would literally be unable to move our upper torso. Here are a few of the different kinds of disc injuries that make movements of the upper torso painful and difficult:
- A protruding disc occurs when the disc becomes asymmetrical and the gel is pushed out or bulging.
- A herniated disc is when the disc material has ruptured to the point that the gel pushes outward.
- A disc extrusion is the worst type of disc injury. This is when the gel balloons extensively into the area outside the vertebrae or breaks off from the disc.
Signs and Symptoms of a Disc Injury
All of the above issues tend to result in considerable back pain, numbness, and limitation in range of motion due to the irritation of the nerve roots at the point where the injury occurs and the impact this has on the surrounding tissues. A number of distressing symptoms can arise from this nerve irritation and damage, including but not limited to:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Weak legs or feet
- Leg and foot pain, numbness and tingling (also known as sciatica)
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
Chiropractic Care for Disc Injury
Chiropractic care in Dubuque for disc injuries has a proven track record of providing both short-term pain relief and long-term recovery. Chiropractic treatment involves a thorough assessment of your medical history and x-rays, as well as a physical examination in order to determine the extent of the disc injury and the appropriate treatment.
The approach that is taken will be individually tailored to your specific issue and will always include gentle adjustments to the spine to relieve pressure on the nerves and deal with the pain and discomfort. If you have a disc injury, call our team at Tri-States Chiropractic today to receive a consultation and start on the path to recovery.